Upgrading A Phase 1.3

mikejrsmith

hi everyone ive been riding a mad phase 1.3 for the last month and ive just realised that im using 3 fingers on the brakes all the time to keep them locked, two works ok but i was wandering do most people only use one finger on the brakes? when i try they just wont stay locked, i have a tektro front mechanical disk and a rear tektro v brake, which im sure must be pretty low quality, would better brakes mean i can use 1 finger?

please choose the option you think would be best:

option 1: change the front fork and put hs33's front and back (prob most expensive but ive heard a new fork can help as mine is cro-mo) im new to trials so i dont think im too fussed about modulating the front brake

option 2: hs33 on the back and change the brake on the front to another disk brake

option 3: they will be fine if propperly set up, get some strength in your fingers weakling

any other options or opinions will be thankfully recieved

mike

option 2 would allow you to use only 1 finger on each brake, make sure you get decent pads e.g koxx browns/plazzies on a grind for your magura though. BB7s are relatively cheap discs and probably the best for the front too.

Edited by afroman

I think that if your forks are heavy enough to actually factor against your riding, it would be worth replacing them. I personally prefer hs33s all round.

It is fairly essential that you use one finger braking as it allows a far greater grip on the bar.

If the cost is an isssue you may want to think about improving what you've got, you may find that decent pads, a ground rim, and decent cables can improve your system. Although it still wont be a patch on decent maggies, and if you look long and hard enough and you can find them for about £25.

cost isnt too much of a consern i bought the cheap bike because i wasnt sure if id actually take it up, im out everyday at the moment, if its worth getting the fork im thinking about getting an echo control fork as it comes with disk mounts and 4 hole maggie mounts with a pair of hs33's otherwise 1hs33 on the back and a bb7 on the front?

You might be better off selling your bike and putting money towards it and buying a better one, it would make it mch easier for you to get a fully upgraded bike.

yeah i was thinking that but its pretty much brand new and who would buy it other than someone like me?! im still not doing anything fancy just the brakes r pissin me off and its the same frame on all the team mad phases so im pretty sure thats ok, i recon if i could keep it up for a year id prob invest in a better bike then but at the moment its still early days (and im about to start my last year of uni) if you think an allround better bike would help me more then i will definatly consider it.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, you could also get a decent rear Vee. I'm no expert on them (in fact I know FA) but all the people that have used them swear by them and say they're better than HS33s by a mile - you also don't get the shitty maggy specific problems (Y)

yeah i was thinking that but its pretty much brand new and who would buy it other than someone like me?! im still not doing anything fancy just the brakes r pissin me off and its the same frame on all the team mad phases so im pretty sure thats ok, i recon if i could keep it up for a year id prob invest in a better bike then but at the moment its still early days (and im about to start my last year of uni) if you think an allround better bike would help me more then i will definatly consider it.

i would say u will want to upgrade to another bike before a year of riding because it will hold u back alot, christmas would be a nice length of time to get into the sport and advance as far as u can on that bike.

If i were you i'd look at picking up an avid bb7 caliper from ebay, pick one with the mount for your rotor size 160mm, 180mm or 203mm and use your existing lever. You should see a noticeable difference with the new disk and can upgrade to a new lever at some other point.

With regards to the rear, you have two choices. Either way you'll need to buy a whole new brake but you can either go rear maggie or rear vee. With the rear maggie you can pick one up for around £25 and thats your whole brake, though you'l probably need clamps and maybe pads.

With the vee you'll need new levers and arms, avid speed dial series are good, as well as some trials specific vee pads like the heatsink backnigs and then you can use any pad material you wish.

thanks everyone for your reply's im seriusly tempted with a new bike now! been counting up the pennies and im not sure if its worth spending any more on this bike, anyone considering buying this bike, DONT unless you can afford another next month! i dont regret it though because i wasnt sure i would enjoy riding trials which is basicly the only reason to buy 1.

mike

Bit drastic replacing your bike due to poor brake performance.

For the rear, Deore Vs are stiff as anything and only cost around a tenner. Couple them with a decent pad (Rock V pads, Koolstop salmons.), keep your current lever and you got yourself a cheeky little setup for around 20 quid. Not seen phase frames so not sure how much flex is in there. But maybe stiffen the back up with a cheap booster.

Stick with it bro. (Y)

i would say u will want to upgrade to another bike before a year of riding because it will hold u back alot, christmas would be a nice length of time to get into the sport and advance as far as u can on that bike.

(Y) best idea if you ask me

Everyone keeps encouraging you to change it purely because its a MAD frame. The thought that this frame will hold you back is quite strange really, especially considering the geometry of it is very close to that of the echo control... a frame widely regarded for riding amazingly. All it needs is a new rear wheel, new brakes and possibly new forks (depending on how heavy/strong they are).

Definately sort your brakes out, then upgrade the bike gradually. Trust me, its the best way of doing it as you already have a nice riding frame.

i think theres a divide between the people who work for their bikes and the people who either get mummy to buy em or have some kinda bike fund laying around thanks for the advise i think that changing the pads, cable and adding a booster to the brake is a good idea and i will give that a try if not ill replace the brake with another v not sure about the front yet but im tempted with a bb7 and a new pair of levers, if a light fork is a real bonus then that will be next on my list, what benifits would a new wheel give? if its just strength then i will prob wait till i mush this one not doing anything bigger than a curb at the moment!

i do want to make the most of my riding and make it as easy as possible for me so keep the comments coming they are really useful! what does everyone have against team mad?

thanks mike

new bike the phase will snap soon

such a split of opinions, i understand they are prob the cheapest bikes around but have u heard of them snapping? im really not doing anything brutal just kerbs and maybe benches in the not to distant future big man i no.... im really pushing the limits ;)

such a split of opinions, i understand they are prob the cheapest bikes around but have u heard of them snapping? im really not doing anything brutal just kerbs and maybe benches in the not to distant future big man i no.... im really pushing the limits ;)

2 people who ride for mad by me have cracked 2

i think theres a divide between the people who work for their bikes and the people who either get mummy to buy em or have some kinda bike fund laying around thanks for the advise i think that changing the pads, cable and adding a booster to the brake is a good idea and i will give that a try if not ill replace the brake with another v not sure about the front yet but im tempted with a bb7 and a new pair of levers, if a light fork is a real bonus then that will be next on my list, what benifits would a new wheel give? if its just strength then i will prob wait till i mush this one not doing anything bigger than a curb at the moment!

i do want to make the most of my riding and make it as easy as possible for me so keep the comments coming they are really useful! what does everyone have against team mad?

thanks mike

I mentioned the new wheel because the budget ones that come on bikes like that generally and as reliable as something like a hope pro 2 or a chris king. Alternatively you could sort out a cheaper wheel by purchasing a dmr singlespeed hub and attaching a tensile freewheel to it.

The less reliable hubs are more prone to "skipping", where the engagements in the hub skip in the ratchet which can cause anything from just a loud bang noise to you launching over the bars and getting injured.