Tapping Practice

Captain Scarlet

Well, went to Witham today, I had this tap nailed this morning when my brake was holding very good, but by the end of the day my brake really sucked and took me a few attempts to get.

I've only just learnt how to tap and my best is 30", and I have been riding for for almost 8 months altogether.

Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNU7hyjKJh4

EDIT: Reminds me a lot of Steve-o's video of him trying to rear wheel sidehop an electric box.

EDIT EDIT: Blmae YouTube for the crappy quality.

Enjoy,

-Tom

Edited by thutley

Learn to bunnyhop theres only so high you can tap on a mod its fairly pointless in my eyes, its a good move to be able to do but if you seriously want to go big you want to be bunnyhoping. Think about marco groesnik or how ever you spell it, you could never tap a mod how high he can bunnyhop.

You've uploaded a video already?

Very good Hutley.

Ill edit once viewed.

EDIT: Nice quick editing. I wish I was there. LOL.

Have you tried WD40 in your BB yet?

I had a thought, and WD40 can thin the grease within the BB.

As for bunnyhopping, I began learning but don't like the technique of.

Learn to bunnyhop theres only so high you can tap on a mod its fairly pointless in my eyes, its a good move to be able to do but if you seriously want to go big you want to be bunnyhoping. Think about marco groesnik or how ever you spell it, you could never tap a mod how high he can bunnyhop.

I tapped a python 47" before. theyr pretty good for it.

cool, but it just looks like your back wheeling not tapping

Agreed. Also pretty sure it wasn't really a crap back brake stopping you keeping it ;)

edit: Also agree that tapping, when you do it, really isn't the way to go on mod. You can pedal up to back wheel over 50" quite easliy on a mod and bunnyhop even higher with a good run in.

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

i dissagree, nick manning tapped a massive wall on my bike, i don't think any other rider on stock or mod did that wall, plus bunny hopping a LONG mod to rear wheel is well hard. Although pretty easy on a shorter one. i'd say stick at tapping personally.

As for the vid, i found it quite amusing, but get your brake sorted out!

i dissagree, nick manning tapped a massive wall on my bike, i don't think any other rider on stock or mod did that wall, plus bunny hopping a LONG mod to rear wheel is well hard. Although pretty easy on a shorter one. i'd say stick at tapping personally.

As for the vid, i found it quite amusing, but get your brake sorted out!

Thats why i dont see the point in long mods, half the riders on mods these days dont even do taps bunnyhops ect they just do static moves because they ride long mods. Fair enough somepeople can tap one fairly high but you can go bigger than that by bunnyhoping.

I think there may have been a couple of times when my front wheel didn't quite hit it, but all else they did.

Looks at the first few taps, my backwheel hits right on the edge and would have held in the morning but just manages to slip out.

Currently I'm treating tapping like backwheeling, althought it just shoots me up a little higher than what a normal backwheel would.

Will consider the bunnyhops but I will need a lot of practicing, I had troubles doing it on a 2ft grass bank, yet alone landing accurately on rear wheel.

I was tapping the old Monty I had. But I found there was a much greater chance of flipping out in comparison to stock.

That wasn't your brake at fault - you weren't up in enough. If you tap something right, you only really need a little brake to stop you. If you're brake was working better, you would have paused on the edge and more than likely stepped off.

My advice would be get it nailed at say 27" and then come back to that wall. And IF you were tapping that, it's a tiny tap and may be causing you more problems than just back wheeling it or bunny hopping it.

I think there may have been a couple of times when my front wheel didn't quite hit it, but all else they did.

Looks at the first few taps, my backwheel hits right on the edge and would have held in the morning but just manages to slip out.

Yeah your backwheel hits the edge, but only about an inch or two under your bottom bracket shell. Nowhere near high enough to land it. I think the majority of brakes would struggle with that technique. With a front tap your body should follow a motion that leaves you without a need for a rear brake at all really. You tap it and suck it up and as you hit the corner the weight of you falling forwards puts pressure on the pedals and younatural lean onto the wall and make it. You can tap with a really piss poor brake and it'll be fine. Its just youyr technique that needs sorting not the brake.

"Practice makes perfect"? "Never give up"?

This is a video to show that you can get there in the end.

yes but why... ok if is brakes was working, but they wasnt so i just didnt see the point becouse you not going to go to a comp with no brakes are you, that was my point.

yes but why... ok if is brakes was working, but they wasnt so i just didnt see the point becouse you not going to go to a comp with no brakes are you, that was my point.

A vast majority of riders, so far as I know anyway don't go to comps

The point is to get better

Edited by afroman