Straight Lacing...

The Duck

Is it as simple as it looks? Just ordered me some new spokes to go with my new hub from tarty, and as they haven't written a crossing pattern (e.g. 3X) on the tape, i assume i need to straight lace it.

I've never done it before (i've only done crossing) so if anyone knows how, a bit of help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Edit: Feel free to abuse me if I'm missing something obvious chappys.

Edited by Quackers

Is it as simple as it looks? Just ordered me some new spokes to go with my new hub from tarty, and as they haven't written a crossing pattern (e.g. 3X) on the tape, i assume i need to straight lace it.

I've never done it before (i've only done crossing) so if anyone knows how, a bit of help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Edit: Feel free to abuse me if I'm missing something obvious chappys.

Pretty much what you said, spoke in hub, spoke in adjacent hole in rim. Am assuming this is the front and you arent running a disc?

QUOTE(hugh_b @ Jul 3 2007, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tarty's always supply spokes to be laced 3x.

No they effing don't.

The last set of spokes i had from them said '4X' on them. The time before that they said '3X disk side' and '2X non-disk side'

That was helpful.

To be honest, they've probably given you the right lengths for 3x if it's not specified

Was it a case of you telling them what hub/rim it was and them doing the rest? If so it's probably as above, maybe give them a shout?

As for radial lacing, it's just a case of going round hole by hole whacking in a spoke at a time really, though for disc usage it would be better to have 3x or more, due to the increased stresses it causes

To be honest, they've probably given you the right lengths for 3x if it's not specified

Was it a case of you telling them what hub/rim it was and them doing the rest? If so it's probably as above, maybe give them a shout?

As for radial lacing, it's just a case of going round hole by hole whacking in a spoke at a time really, though for disc usage it would be better to have 3x or more, due to the increased stresses it causes

mmmm...

I've emailed them, the spokes just don't look long enough for even 2X let alone 3... (when compared to a built up wheel)

Thanks for the help.

A rim brake brakes at the rim (funnily enough...) so straight pull pattern isnt really a problem as the inertia in the hub when braking is minimal. A disc brake wants to stop the hub whilst the rim/tyre/tube wants to keep rolling - lots of inertia. Straight laced spokes have poor resistance to this and will try and 'roll up' which is bad. I recommend 3x at least on the disc side unless you need wheel building practice.

we try to supply spokes for 3x when possible, but we dont have every spoke length available so sometimes we supply spokes to fit 2x or 4x instead.

have you checked your recipt? if the spoke lengths are not on the spokes then they are usually written in the notes section on the recipt.

If its for a disk wheel, it certainly wont be radial.

My favorite pair of wheels ive built were half 3 x and half radial. Black spokes, silver hubs, black rims with silver machined braking surfaces. looked mean as. They were for an XC rig though, shame it got stolen.

we try to supply spokes for 3x when possible, but we dont have every spoke length available so sometimes we supply spokes to fit 2x or 4x instead.

have you checked your recipt? if the spoke lengths are not on the spokes then they are usually written in the notes section on the recipt.

Noope just checked the recept, doesn't s ay on there... :(

Talking to Adam now, so should all be sorted in a couple of minutes....

Thanks for help again guyths ({)

Edit: Problem solved - 2X either side (spokes are still tiney though)

Edited by Quackers