Carbon Triasl Forks?

NVWOCI WVS

dont break forks, not particularly harsh on the front end really, but will they handle the power of a 203mm BB7? because thats what i reckon i might run them with. are the disc mounts good and is the criwn stiff/strong enough to gap to front wheel?

they flex to much, and are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to long, then the bottoms tear off :(

Amen. (to he first and second point, can't comment on third).

Brendan had a set for a while, were silly light, but flexed to a very scary amount. Not just a 'wow, look closely' flex, was more of a 'holy crap are his forks falling out' flex.

Being designed for XC to replace suspension forks make them 30-40mm longer then normal forks, which not only looks pants in my opinion, but makes the ride very, well, unique...

I'm sure Ashton forks are more like 1020g...

You're probably right, I'm still pretty sure I've got Ashtons, they look like Fattys, have a steel steerer, 24/26" v-brake mounts and crooked disc mounts (the workmanship is appalling). You sure about that Tart?

Quite a stiff and strong fork as well, looks like it's gone through a lot of abuse before I got it and it's still going strong.

You're probably right, I'm still pretty sure I've got Ashtons, they look like Fattys, have a steel steerer, 24/26" v-brake mounts and crooked disc mounts (the workmanship is appalling). You sure about that Tart?

Yeh that'll be the ones, we had some and they were defo over 1kg.

I wonder what would happen if you whipped the dropouts off a set, cut the legs down and bonded them back on? :- Must say I'm tempted, despite the obvious lack of warranty...

Yeh that'll be the ones, we had some and they were defo over 1kg.

I wonder what would happen if you whipped the dropouts off a set, cut the legs down and bonded them back on? :- Must say I'm tempted, despite the obvious lack of warranty...

hehe :-;)

wouldnt go with the ashton forks dude, i had a set in 05 a i put 5 cracks in the damm things wanna know scary thing though, i dont go to front wheel and i dont tap so how do they crack lol

and to be honest i bought some saracen mad forks (the white ones believe they were 04) these are light and vee or disk hope this helps someway

iv got a set of pace ones, 380mm from dropout to crown (which is quite short) this does limit the flex in the forks.

iv got mine for sale if anyone wanted them, they would probably fit a mod pretty well, and a stock it does shorten the wheelbase a little bit (which in some cases works quite well!!!)

with anything carbon you just have to be "carful" dont go bashing them round like you would an ally set. mine have been fine after i had a new disc dropout put on as i ran a 200mm rotor when the forks are only designed to run a 160mm.

Wayne.

iv got a set of pace ones, 380mm from dropout to crown (which is quite short) this does limit the flex in the forks.

Is most of the flex not in the crown?

Someone needs to make some proper carbon trials forks, like the Fournales (sp?) ones produced for the Coustellier team. Only cheaper....

There not too bad shaun.

post-334-1183449962_thumb.jpg

post-334-1183449989_thumb.jpg

post-334-1183450025_thumb.jpg

Them ones are for sale, as i dont use them any more, iv been there done that and had an extremly light bike, i think them forks weigh around 600grams!!!! the 420mm ones are 670 or somewhere near. mine have 200mm steerer length and from dropout to crown race is 380mm.

Wayne.

I rode with pace rc250 or whatever the carbon fibre/magnesium xc forks are, the problem is theyre desingned to replace a single crown suspension fork - so theyre actually pretty tall.

Theyre also really, really, really flexy.. which is horrible when tapping. Not to mention i cracked the disk mount within 2 months.

edit: you can see how long they are below.

post-277-1183451058_thumb.jpg

post-277-1183451070_thumb.jpg

Edited by br3n

carbon mod forks for the win!rigid as fook when cut down but of you plan to put a 203 bb7 on bye bye face. I only ride natty really and certainly dont rape bike parts or mega gaps to front wheel and anyone who knows me should no i try to be smooth as possible.

obviously warranty goes out the window as mentioned so dont cry when yours break because you were rocking out 10ft gaps to front,lol

craig

i considered a set on my bike before, the only thing i did'nt likewas the length, i contacted pace, asking if they would possibly make a set to 400mm length, the extra charge would be £20 for this service which isnt too bad,

would be interesting to know if they are still offering this service.

ash

Find a company called HQ fibre products. Think the guys name is Mike. He is the don of carbon and does a fair few of our repairs to our frames it sure aint cheap but the job he does is amazing.

Top guy but generally busy as fook.

craig

they were doing that Ash for a university project they were making 12 pairs of forks in the jig so were "moving" it more frequently. if you ring them and ask them now they probably wouldnt do it :( altho 400mm would be nice on a set of 26" forks.

if your pretty smooth (dependant on which moves you predominantly do) carbon forks would be fine. You tend to know when carbons not too well, it starts to creak a bit.

Wayne.