How Petty...

Johno85

Hey everyone,

I know this won't be much of a topic but,

I have a friend how doe's freeriding, And he says what we are doing is a waste of time.

He says " Well not taking the piss but, i feel when your given so much freedom out in the woodland and countryside, I feel with trials riding kind of wastes it. Spending the money on the bike and spending so much time and effort just to jump on a wall. A waste when you consider the land we could ride and jump." :huh:

So i talked to him a bit more about it trying to convince him, but he said: " Nah, that's so much time wasted when there are acres of this world to ride, all so you can learn and at the end of the day to jump onto a bit of railing. Too much time for a small thing." :blink:

So once more I again to talk him out of it, but: " It's a clowns bike. It's nothing more then a small circus act." <_<

Oh dear. :unsure:

Edited by Johno85

I suppose you have just got to ignore views like this. I mean, if he was in to Trials, then he would be riding it. I hate how some people judge things just because that is not what they are in to, I mean after all it's up to us what we want to ride.

He has the whole world to ride in, and he only rides one that one mountain.

It's all down to how you look at it.

He can't really say trials is a waste of time, he's in the same boat. They're both a form of mountain biking.

We all keep healthy from it, we enjoy it, it keeps us happy. - How is that a waste of time?

Difficult to comment really. The guy is right about how fun freeride can be. It's a broad term though, to me freeride is a mixture of downhill and bits of xc. To others it'll be the most extreme bicycle sport. I don't understand why so many people dislike trials, i've always thought of it as a great sport even when i spent 90% of my riding time on a downhill bike.

I actually find these comments about trials really annoying, what do people want to prove by saying such things? Or maybe they just don't have enough character and constantly have to prove to themselves that their sport is superior to others.

I bet he's crap at riding a trials bike isn't he? I had a mate who said it was pointless ages ago, used to always take the piss. He told me recently whilst quite drunk that he was extremely jealous and used to wish he could do the things i do because its damn impressive.

I'd say he's jealous ;)

Yeah but golf is a f**kin waste of time!

Whats wrong with you guys? Golf is pretty relaxing and satisfying when you hit a good shot, same with Darts. If somebody out of a pub said 'Riding bikes mate? F**kin waste of time' then what would you think?

It's a case of each to their own, I won't try turn a gay man straight just because it's not what I'm into. Tell your friend you can choose to ride over fields if you wish but you'd rather spend time perfecting bike control (he probably cant and thats why he thinks the way he does).

Whats wrong with you guys? Golf is pretty relaxing and satisfying when you hit a good shot

The problem I have with golf is the poor attitude that the club members have towards everyone else in the world... I don't know if they take the game too seriously, or maybe just themselves but they all come accross as up their own arses. I also resent the amount of parkland that is wasted for them to walk around hitting their egg with a stick!! I'm sure it's quite fun to play but all the BS that goes with it just makes me angry!

Back on topic, there'll always be rivalry and disagreements within the sub divisions. It's like trials riders thinking XC is for jayboys and that downhillers and freeriders have very little skill but big cojones. It all depends on what makes people tick- for us I guess it's the challenge of doing something that most people wouldn't believe is possible on a push bike which doesn't need the Alps to undertake. At least we can practice on a kerb whereas he'll always have to travel to get some riding...

Dave

P.S. Happy Gilmore all the way!!

P.P.S. Cheers to Scopse for returning the Torx key (Y)

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

I bet he's crap at riding a trials bike isn't he? I had a mate who said it was pointless ages ago, used to always take the piss. He told me recently whilst quite drunk that he was extremely jealous and used to wish he could do the things i do because its damn impressive.

I'd say he's jealous ;)

I think you would be right sir!!

And also to everyone,

HE'S A FAT BLOKE!!!

16 stone of man.

And i'm only a skinny 9-10 stone man.

I think you would be right sir!!

And also to everyone,

HE'S A FAT BLOKE!!!

16 stone of man.

And i'm only a skinny 9-10 stone man.

Ha ha, if he's tubby thats probably whats stopping him from trying as he'll see all these skinny semi controtionists doing it.

If you want to wind him up... tell him fat people can do it too ;) and that its a far better way to burn fat than freeriding.

If hes a tree hugger thats his problem. Ive got a mate much like this, both sports are pointless, fun all the same.

But why the f**k would you want to explore fields and woods, seen one youve seen em all

He is basically saying it is too hard to try to go big in trials, so hes just plain lazy

Edited by afroman

Ha ha, if he's tubby thats probably whats stopping him from trying as he'll see all these skinny semi controtionists doing it.

If you want to wind him up... tell him fat people can do it too ;) and that its a far better way to burn fat than freeriding.

im 19 stone and i still ride so thats not the problem

im 19 stone and i still ride so thats not the problem

I'm 16.5 ;) but not fat. If he sees himself as being too fat to do it though, he'd be able to wind him up by telling him fat people can do it and that its better for them than freeriding.

I'm 16.5 ;) but not fat. If he sees himself as being too fat to do it though, he'd be able to wind him up by telling him fat people can do it and that its better for them than freeriding.

Sounds like a plan, i'll take you up on that mate.

well trials developes bike control and i know i can do a fair amount of freeride just by blasting down a trail without thinking, same goes for BMX but BMX's intend is to pull the sickest line, and is fairly similar to trials but just rolls alot more. basically IMO freeride is a piece of piss, BMX takes alot of skill and practice to perfect lines yet trials is the "purest" type of riding, it can be done anywhere, on just about anything, i think i like the fact that i can get on/up/across/out of alot of places, it just give me a sensation of freedom, and you can do trials fast, so the speed can't be the excuse for the "thrill" of freeride.

fair enough the top boys in FR, DH, XC etc have put in the hours, but your mate just sounds like abit of a punter trying to big up his sport.

your mate is a dick, people that put other people down generally are c**ts. but each to their own, if he honestly would prefer to go as fast as possible down a rocky trail, then thats cool. but learning to control a bike allows you to be able to do most cycling sports to a certain degree.

my opinion, you can't knock it. or ill rape you

well trials developes bike control and i know i can do a fair amount of freeride just by blasting down a trail without thinking, same goes for BMX but BMX's intend is to pull the sickest line, and is fairly similar to trials but just rolls alot more. basically IMO freeride is a piece of piss, BMX takes alot of skill and practice to perfect lines yet trials is the "purest" type of riding, it can be done anywhere, on just about anything, i think i like the fact that i can get on/up/across/out of alot of places, it just give me a sensation of freedom, and you can do trials fast, so the speed can't be the excuse for the "thrill" of freeride.

fair enough the top boys in FR, DH, XC etc have put in the hours, but your mate just sounds like abit of a punter trying to big up his sport.

your mate is a dick, people that put other people down generally are c**ts. but each to their own, if he honestly would prefer to go as fast as possible down a rocky trail, then thats cool. but learning to control a bike allows you to be able to do most cycling sports to a certain degree.

my opinion, you can't knock it. or ill rape you

Im not trying to start an argment with you ash, because it wold be pointless, but I constantly find myself going :rolleyes: when I read your posts. You say people that put other people down are c**ts, yet in the same breath you called him (someone you don't even know) a dick. I reckon we have the same idea, I just wish you'd re-read what you type before hitting the post button... If Im wrong, and your not being hypocritical, im sorry, but that's how I've read your post.

Gimmie his number (Y) ill tell him over the phone how much his annoyed me!

nah, i''l just let him know what you guys have said on here.

He can be a dick sometimes, he can be one-minded. -_-

Each to there own as they say,

nah your right, but generally people who put people down for no real reason are dicks, i try not to unless someone really pisses me off, so i guess your right and wrong at the same time, but anyway, my point still stands imo

That's true, no one should put any one down. Each to there own. Don't knock it till you've tired it.