Weight Loss...possible Mods

Alex Dark

Right...

I've got a coust v2 stock, however...i think its a bit porky in its current state, so im thinking about dropping some weight on it.

Spec is as follows:

Tryall nuc stem

Monty ti bars

tryall rear rim on echo 6spd hub

kmc k710

onza hognesiums

maxxis minion dual ply 2.5 rear

maxxis highroller 2.35 front single ply

full meta front wheel ( hope xc copy hub and viz rim? )

tensile optimum ace headset

echo cnc cranks

gu half bashring

tensile FFW

fsa platinum bb

185 bb7

rear 04 magura

The highlighted stuff above are things i reckon it'd be worth changing...whats your views/opinions on this? any more suggestions?

I'm contemplating :

* Lacing an echo 06 rim-- to a ck hub that ive got spare...or maybe selling this to pay for lighter parts?

* Changing the front tyre to a conti or larsen tt?

* Maybe changing the rear tyre, although ive tried , on other people#s bikes, the rubber queen, rain king and big betty...and the only one i get on with is the rain king, and that's hardly much of a weight saving considering the price?

* changing the front wheel if it really is that heavy?

Not too into changing the cranks, as there's not much weight saving....tryall's seem to be fairly rare in 170 isis second hand fro a reasonable price, and ive heard of too many tensile uci's snapping.

As I've never used an echo 06 rim, anybody got any opinions on them? they certainly seem to be damn light...although VERY flexy

Anybody got any idea of weight on these? significantly lighter than a tryall? same material as an echo 07?

I wouldn't consider myself a basher....but I'm sure someone who i ride with will be able to voice their opinion on this...

Hi mate hows you?

tip on rear wheel, go for a Kenda Nevegal 2.5 (stick-e compound) ;) got mine yesterday and is Incredible! same as what Vince, Gilles and Dan Brooker are currently running, weighs 900g, i dont think theres a tyre ive used other than maybe a rain king that matches grip levels! Ask Rob Brodie about lastnights natural ride ;)

Other than that change the front tyre to something like a tryall, lighter than your maxxis yet not comprimising on grip!!! Even thou i myself am currently running a Schwable Rocket Ron (480g) tyre upfront, it certainly doesnt grip aswell as a tryall IMO.

These are only my opinions and im sure many people have contrasting views, but hope this helps!

Nath

Edited by nathie wafie

Hi mate hows you?

tip on rear wheel, go for a Kenda Nevegal 2.5 (stick-e compound) ;) got mine yesterday and is Incredible! same as what Vince, Gilles and Dan Brooker are currently running, weighs 900g, i dont think theres a tyre ive used other than maybe a rain king that matches grip levels! Ask Rob Brodie about lastnights natural ride ;)

Other than that change the front tyre to something like a tryall, lighter than your maxxis yet not comprimising on grip!!! Even thou i myself am currently running a Schwable Rocket Ron (480g) tyre upfront, it certainly doesnt grip aswell as a tryall IMO.

These are only my opinions and im sure many people have contrasting views, but hope this helps!

Nath

yeh man im good :)

you riding down south any time soon?

hmmm im gonna go have a look at that (Y) cheeeers!

ive got a realy light weight wheel id swap for the meta wheel hope xc on mavic x 618 red hub and grey rim! your cranks arent that light either alex thought about changed them!

iwould...but that mavics only 18mm wide isnt it?

yehh i just liek the security of the echos really, i think its only like 60g heavier?

iwould...but that mavics only 18mm wide isnt it?

yehh i just liek the security of the echos really, i think its only like 60g heavier?

something like that but i run a conti gravity tyre on it and the whole thing weighed like 1.2 with a whole wheel and rotor and it holds up realy wheel and you knwo how i ride the wheel is still perfect!

yeh man im good :)

you riding down south any time soon?

hmmm im gonna go have a look at that (Y) cheeeers!

Yea ive got a few weeks off work in August so will arrange to come down your way, ride some natural and maybe Plymouth :D

The link for the Kenda mate ;) Only £21 plus P&P aswel

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kenda_To...yre/5360028560/

Mavic rim, Mono hub, skinny tyre, vee. Would lighten your front end a treat.

Alternatively, lay off the pies.

eww i hate rim brakes :(

i was considering front magura, with hog rim on t-master hub...but i cant stand the lack of modulation/noise/lack of power in the wet

something like that but i run a conti gravity tyre on it and the whole thing weighed like 1.2 with a whole wheel and rotor and it holds up realy wheel and you knwo how i ride the wheel is still perfect!

sorry med :( looking for something wider ideally

Yea ive got a few weeks off work in August so will arrange to come down your way, ride some natural and maybe Plymouth :D

The link for the Kenda mate ;) Only £21 plus P&P aswel

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kenda_To...yre/5360028560/

ahhhh you legend :D

ideal man, there's plenty of natty spots down here...you can even see your old k-sas :)

wow, the weight of that kenda is comparable to a rubber queen...whats it like for puncture resistance and bounce?

i dont want something as hissy and uncontrollably bouncy as a rubber queen you see :S

Edited by Alex Dark

ahhhh you legend :D

ideal man, there's plenty of natty spots down here...you can even see your old k-sas :)

Awesome! Im up for dartmoor aswell! Hah yeah even though hes ruined paint job :P

On the puncture resistenace, its way better than my previous conti! i did flat last night but i havnt worked out the correct tyre pressure yet as its new. Incredibly bouncy though! Simply because of the more matterial on the Kenda it should be alot better than the Conti's!

Edited by nathie wafie

Right...

I've got a coust v2 stock, however...i think its a bit porky in its current state, so im thinking about dropping some weight on it.

Dude your bike is light as hell compared to mine! Man up.

Tyres and tubes are a good idea if you really want to save some weight... but its really not that heavy at all.

Awesome! Im up for dartmoor aswell! Hah yeah even though hes ruined paint job :P

On the puncture resistenace, its way better than my previous conti! i did flat last night but i havnt worked out the correct tyre pressure yet as its new. Incredibly bouncy though! Simply because of the more matterial on the Kenda it should be alot better than the Conti's!

haha yeh tis a shame....

which conti did you have?

ideal sounds like my next tyre then :D

Man the funk up. Set it up right and you'll have plenty of modulation, enough wet weather performance and no noise... The only time I've had an issue with mine was in a pissing wet comp in long grass, not exactly a common occurrence for me ;)

A D521 is about 25mm wide, plenty

hmmmm suggested setup?

can only be front magura...or vee with adaptors

Losing the rear hub will save you loads of weight, build the king up, ditch the FFW and I bet youll lose 300g.

Seriously consider a front vee, 30% lighter than a maggie and about half the weight of a disk, Im using sd7/coustsinks on a mavic xc717/mono and its got really good modulation on a super, super light grind. I think my front wheel weighs just over 1200g including tyre and tube.

Cranks are heavy, a pair of burns with a tnn bash will lose you another 100g straight away, TI bb is an option as are TI pedals, again large weight savings.

Changing the tyres will make the biggest difference though, especially on the front, unfortunately to get a really light bike (sub 9kg) you need to spend quite alot of money or just be really lucky :D

edit: vee with adaptors is the same weight as a maggie so not really worth it weight wise, however a vee will generally offer more modulation than a maggie.

Edited by forteh

Losing the rear hub will save you loads of weight, build the king up, ditch the FFW and I bet youll lose 300g.

Seriously consider a front vee, 30% lighter than a maggie and about half the weight of a disk, Im using sd7/coustsinks on a mavic xc717/mono and its got really good modulation on a super, super light grind. I think my front wheel weighs just over 1200g including tyre and tube.

Cranks are heavy, a pair of burns with a tnn bash will lose you another 100g straight away, TI bb is an option as are TI pedals, again large weight savings.

Changing the tyres will make the biggest difference though, especially on the front, unfortunately to get a really light bike (sub 9kg) you need to spend quite alot of money or just be really lucky :D

edit: vee with adaptors is the same weight as a maggie so not really worth it weight wise, however a vee will generally offer more modulation than a maggie.

hmm will i save any weight with those cranks, cromo screw on cog and wide based rear cog? its an hd classic i thinks...on the same rim again

ive only got maggie mount forks....so thatll have to do really...i just dont really wanna ditch my disc :(

best way to lose a kg then? tyres...so kenda is - ~300g and what front tyre?

A Mountain King 2.4 Protection, weighs only 780g, but punctures soooo easily!!

Go Kenda ;)

badass, when my maxxis dies, im getting one for sure then :)

hmm will i save any weight with those cranks, cromo screw on cog and wide based rear cog? its an hd classic i thinks...on the same rim again

burns = 412g

echo cnc = 528

Bashguard and screw on sprocket will be about the same weight as the tnn bash (unless you go for the superlight alloy one)

A standard king weighs 285g, add 40g or so for the HD axle, I wouldnt be suprised if that rear hub weighs over 350g - youre not losing a huge amount on the hub but you are losing 200g in the freewheel.

More economic sense to change the tyres and tubes though ;)