Marino 24"er (dual-vee)

zoster

spec:

marino frame (if you are wondering what i have on my left chainstay, it is a "missed sidehop guard", read about it here ) (weight 2570)

(btw, i twlked to marino and he said he can build the kind of seattube end that can accomodate pivotal seats directly , like this. this was after i already had the frame, but just so you know in case you are thinking of making an order )

pashley fork (belonged to ali c)

azonic 2.5" rise bars

dmr stem (a bit too bulky, i know, but it had the right geo and was fairly cheap)

avid ultimates with cheap transparent pads ( thread about vee pads ), cheap booster (modified to fit the 95mm mount distance)

front wheel: echo hub , rhyno lite rim, k-rad tire

rear wheel: trialtech rim and hub, dmr moto digger 24" tire-best tire i had!

czar cranks and zoo bash (mounted inside-out). they're sparkly because they were sandblasted (bought them cheap from selectbikes but had funky colors)

managed to get a decent chainline by using a 118mm bb (read about it here)

eclat complex padded saddle (214g they say.. but no adjustment for angle, therefore it sits a bit too on the back for my taste, but that's that)

GEO: wb 1015 , cs 370, bb+20 , ha 74, sa 71, 120 ht length

WEIGHT: 11.2 kg

PRICE: about 650 gbp

that's about it.

it rides great!

3351008273_a514781e41_b.jpg

3351835208_268dcc74e4_b.jpg

3351011885_7341552f7a_b.jpg

3351836374_b3d323c5e7_b.jpg

reversed tugs:

P1030087.JPG

link to marinos pics of building process

BONUS: my lady-like commuting bike :) :

3351850174_66a84117ba_b.jpg

3351849078_d4b366f420_b.jpg

best part about this bike is the price (sh bike + a few new parts = 45gbp )

Edited by zoster

Glad to see it built up and done, the attention to detail through the build has really payed off

How are you finding those pads on a smooth/ground rim?

they hold really well, but are soft compound and add some elasticity

I'm guessing you've not yet ridden it for long enough to notice the wear rate, but if it's half decent I might throw some on the front (rear light grind I'd imagine would be a bit lairy and my Heatsinks are perfectly adequate there for now)

A little glad I didn't opt for one of those Eclat's though, if I'm brutally honest. I'd rather have a touch less tyre clearance but the seat a touch further back, given the option

I'm guessing you've not yet ridden it for long enough to nitice the wear rate, but if it's half decent I might throw some on the front (rear light grind I'd imagine would be a bit lairy and my Heatsinks are perfectly adequate there for now)

on the front they squealed like hell when new. i put some dirt on and they became great (no noise, and good enough modulation with plenty lock). they started squealing again after 1-2 days of riding, so i put some dirt again. hopefully they will bed in somehow and stop squealing without messing around with them.

sorry for the late reply, was away for a week..

Yours looks really good! What geo did you get for it? 24UK?

not quite, more bmx-ey. see the description on the top for geo

The marino looks perfect. So the chain tensioners work good? I like the idea behind them a lot. Kind of like the new Control's tensioners.

you have to put some threadlock or something, otherwise, they tend to unscrew from all the vibrations and stuff.

Too true. Geo looks good, do you find you have enough room?

yep, works for me. (i'm 1.70m tall if it matters)

THANKS for all the replies

not quite, more bmx-ey. see the description on the top for geo

Yeah, I see that interesting to see how it rides for trials stuff though. Do know how it rides for trials stuff, not just bmx. Also, how are you liking those bars? Those are my top choice.

Yours looks really good! What geo did you get for it? 24UK?

24uk geo is rank. His geo sounds pretty interesting. The short chainstays and sharp head angle would make the front end feel decently long...I'd like to try that myself.

"GEO: wb 1015 , cs 370, bb+20 , ha 74, sa 71, 120 ht length"

Like he said, this geo is more bmx/streety. If you want to do more trials specific moves, look into something with a longer WB, like an inspired or Reset.

Personally, if I were to build up another 24" trials bike, I'd go with 1045 wb, 73 HA, 380 CS, +15 bb.

Edited by Jason222

Yeah, I see that interesting to see how it rides for trials stuff though. Do know how it rides for trials stuff, not just bmx. Also, how are you liking those bars? Those are my top choice.

i haven't tried it too much, but it seems great so far for trials. it's really stable on the back. i don't know how to do really advanced moves like gaps to front, so i can't really give you an expert opinion but for intermediate drops and gaps and the basic stuff if works great.

the handlebars feel good. they have quite the upsweep, but i don't mind that. might actually be a good ting.

24uk geo is rank. His geo sounds pretty interesting. The short chainstays and sharp head angle would make the front end feel decently long...I'd like to try that myself.

"GEO: wb 1015 , cs 370, bb+20 , ha 74, sa 71, 120 ht length"

Like he said, this geo is more bmx/streety. If you want to do more trials specific moves, look into something with a longer WB, like an inspired or Reset.

Personally, if I were to build up another 24" trials bike, I'd go with 1045 wb, 73 HA, 380 CS, +15 bb.

What's wrong with 24UK geo? I was actually going to get one. I'll probably still get it, but might change the frame if the geo's bad. Oh, and thanks zoster. I think I might go with those bars.

Edited by J Trials 31

What's wrong with 24UK geo? I was actually going to get one. I'll probably still get it, but might change the frame if the geo's bad. Oh, and thanks zoster. I think I might go with those bars.

The WB is too short and the bb is too high. Makes for an awkward riding bike. Try the geo I mentioned (Y)