24" Wheels On A Stock

Greetings

Martyn was telling me that is how the ET came about - he took his cannondale trials bike and stuffed 24" wheels in - had more fun on a bike than ever before - gave it to Eddie who agreed and it went into production ....

i would imagine it to be a bit gash for the modern 1090 + 40bb bikes though !!! but you could always try

Jon (Quickspider) has the Heatsink Proto 24uk which is a 1080mm wheelbase, effectively a stock geo frame ;)

Rides well from what I hear, and as with most things you'll get used to it with a little time

Provided you have the tyre clearance, do it (I was considering doing the same around the time you put your kiddie wheels on the adamant...)

edit;

img_1349.jpg

Running discs will make the bike feel quite flexy compaired to a rim brake.

Martyn was telling me that is how the ET came about - he took his cannondale trials bike and stuffed 24" wheels in - had more fun on a bike than ever before - gave it to Eddie who agreed and it went into production ....

i would imagine it to be a bit gash for the modern 1090 + 40bb bikes though !!! but you could always try

I like that story. ^_^

Yeh i tested one of the prototypes which i cud put 26inch wheels on. Gd fun but the final design turned out alot better.

Whilst my 609 was broken, I rode a Pashley 26GHz ( one of the old short ones) with 24" wheels in. It felt a little odd, but really not too bad. Obviously I wasn't running a rear disk, so I had a maggie part bolted and part jubilee clipped on. I found it great for skate park stuff, having less BB rise than my 609 meant good for spins and bunny hops. Was more awkward on rear wheel but not by much. If you check here: Youtube Link FRom 10secs to 25secs was riding the GHz, and there one or two clips dotted later in the vid.

gallery_422_553_11300.jpg

gallery_422_553_105414.jpg

gallery_422_553_126636.jpg

0157sh.jpg

Black and white pic by FatMike

There were lines I did on that Pashley that I've not done since!

Whilst my 609 was broken, I rode a Pashley 26GHz ( one of the old short ones) with 24" wheels in. It felt a little odd, but really not too bad. Obviously I wasn't running a rear disk, so I had a maggie part bolted and part jubilee clipped on. I found it great for skate park stuff, having less BB rise than my 609 meant good for spins and bunny hops. Was more awkward on rear wheel but not by much. If you check here: Youtube Link FRom 10secs to 25secs was riding the GHz, and there one or two clips dotted later in the vid.

Black and white pic by FatMike

There were lines I did on that Pashley that I've not done since!

Kudos for that bodge :)

It will ride differently with smaller wheels

The BB will be lower (most 24" bikes run +25mm or so relative to a stock to make up for this)

Generally a 24" runs the same fork with a similar/higher rise bar/stem, so the added BB rise makes up the drop from the wheelsize

For all intents and purposes, it'll be fine - do it :P

It will ride differently with smaller wheels

The BB will be lower (most 24" bikes run +25mm or so relative to a stock to make up for this)

Generally a 24" runs the same fork with a similar/higher rise bar/stem, so the added BB rise makes up the drop from the wheelsize

For all intents and purposes, it'll be fine - do it :P

It will be closer to the ground but the +/- won't change, at all.

I think what he's saying is that smaller wheels just make the bike stand lower but the body position is exactly the same.

The reason for which rise varies depending on wheel size is an interesting one. It could be that the 90-100cm bar height is considered to give a good 'riding height' and therefore to retain the same position the average bb rise measured from the ground needs to be fairly similar on all frames. It'd be really odd if mods had 10mm rise and handlebars just above your knees.

Anyhow, going double disk soon, if a rear 8" Hope doesn't deliver enough braking power or the wheel is too flexy, I'll be switching to 24".

Erm?

Well probably because the cranks will hit the floor, especially easier if anything. And anyway, they did exist. Just not these days, as we've discovered higher bbs ride nicer on the back wheel.

Doesn't matter about wheelsize, it's all about where the axles are. Mofo.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=70

BB Rise: 35mm (approximately equivalent to 10mm rise on a 26" bike)

Grant, where is a wheelbase measured from? Axle to axle.

Where is the BB rise measured from? Axle to axle to bb.

Where are the chainstays measured from? Axle to BB.

Hmm, i'm wondering if the axles are the important thing here?

Just listen to me, a 26" wheel bike with +30 bb rise will still have +30 bb rise with 12" wheels. It's all about where the axles (the pivoting point) is.

Tarty are giving you a comparison for BB to FLOOR height, not BB rise in respect to the AXLES.

Edited by Fixed Pantsâ„¢