Prototype Hope Mod Screw On Rear Hub

Ashley Smith

med_gallery_842_1909_397901.jpg

med_gallery_842_1909_263307.jpg

med_gallery_842_1909_414672.jpg

A few pictures of the hope mod rear hub i have just received,

The hub is screw on to accept either a freewheel or screw on cog, it features a through axle design, and has a disc mount, it is spaced at 110mm with 3mm snail cams, allowing for the use of a 110mm frame with the snails on the outside of the frame or with a 116mm frame with the snail cams on the inside.

your views are welcome :)

Regards Ash

It looks pretty good shame it uses a through axle :(

cheers for the reply, what do you mean, shame it uses through axle? do you not think it is a good design? the axle can be used with all frames that have a 10mm horizontal dropout by the way,

it is something that we thought we would try, we are unsure if it will even work at present, i need to build the wheel up this week and give it a go,

if the through axle proves to be unreliable then we will use the normal 10mm bolts like on the current pro2

regards ashley

cheers for the reply, what do you mean, shame it uses through axle? do you not think it is a good design? the axle can be used with all frames that have a 10mm horizontal dropout by the way,

it is something that we thought we would try, we are unsure if it will even work at present, i need to build the wheel up this week and give it a go,

if the through axle proves to be unreliable then we will use the normal 10mm bolts like on the current pro2

regards ashley

I just prefer using bolts like pro 2 uses.

That looks well tidy! Be nice if it will come in all the usual hope colours aswell as 32h and 36h drilling too :)

Next step: Make a cassette hub just like the pro2 that will fit a frame with modspacing, I guarentee you would sell thousands of them!

That looks well tidy! Be nice if it will come in all the usual hope colours aswell as 32h and 36h drilling too :)

Next step: Make a cassette hub just like the pro2 that will fit a frame with modspacing, I guarentee you would sell thousands of them!

they would be available in all hope colours and drillings, at present we have only made 8 to test out, luckily enough just as they were being anodised last week i was down at hope and managed to get mine done in gunsmoke to match the other components on my bike,

in terms of a cassette hub, i agree it would be really nice, maybe thats something to look into........................................

as far as i am aware there could also be a 26" rear screw on hub being produced, this would not have a rear disc mount though, as many stock riders only tend to use rear magura or v-brake. Most of this is only at a talking stage, nothing has been drawn up,

would be really good for some feedback and oppinions on here.

cheers

ashley

Interesting!

Whats the weight Ash, with and without axle? Bearing configuration/sizes? Whats spacing from disc mount face to end of axle without a cam in there?

I'm not to keen on the through axle either but it does 'make sense' for a trials bike.

Cheers

Ads

Wait, Hope are going to bring out a FIXED mod hub? Taking the piss out of the poor little wheeled fellas aren't you? haha Strange move to make, there's a million and one fixed mod hubs out there...

HOWEVER I'm sure it will be at the top of it's market. Looks as good as the rest of the range.

Interesting!

Whats the weight Ash, with and without axle? Bearing configuration/sizes? Whats spacing from disc mount face to end of axle without a cam in there?

I'm not to keen on the through axle either but it does 'make sense' for a trials bike.

Cheers

Ads

I havnt weighed the hub yet, im not in work til 10pm tonight but i will weigh it when i get in, the bearings are 17x28.

with regards to spacing from the disc mount face to the frame is 15.5mm (international standard) although when using the cams on the inside (116mm spaced frames) the disc will not be in the correct position so a hope 3mm spacer will be required to move the disc into its correct position, (these fit between the disc rotor and the hub)

the through axle is something to try out, its never really been tried before and as you mention it does make sense for a trials bikes, (similar design to a motor trials rear axle configuration) the axle that i have got has use for spanner and has been broached to use a 8mm allen key aswell. if this proves not to work we can simply use an M10 bolt like on the pro2, it is probably the same weight as using the through axle.

the other factor we are a little unsure about until we have tried it out is the snail cams, notches or no notches on the outer profile,

as i mentioned the hub is something to try out, and the same will more then likely be applied for a stock frame as well, the ideas came about when me and wayne were at hope talking about possible new products.

cheers ashley

I couldn't ever see myself using one of them. Screw-on cogs are a pain, i'll stick to the Echo replaceable cog with lock ring.

But choice of spoke drilling is a must. The through axle is a good idea i'd say, easy maintenance and replacements..

But personally i'd like chromo/ steel snail cams which are notched. A harder metal to avoid wear plus notched helps with keeping the hub in line. The current line of snail cams are shocking.

And more higher grade bearings (if not done so already).

I couldn't ever see myself using one of them. Screw-on cogs are a pain, i'll stick to the Echo replaceable cog with lock ring.

See I'm the other way round. If you want a cog on the back, whats the fuss? you screw it on and thats it. Its not as if you ever need to take it off to clean it :P

But as said above, hope would make an absolute killing if they brought out a decent,reliable cassette hub for mod WITH A DISC MOUNT! The only options as far as I know are the deng ones or a king

But as said above, hope would make an absolute killing if they brought out a decent,reliable cassette hub for mod WITH A DISC MOUNT!

We told them this years (probably 2 years plus now) ago and actually pre-ordered 120 hubs... still nothing. Probably won't be long before someone comes along and fills the gap in the market, which is a shame.

One comment, why not make the flanges equal sized as it makes building the wheels a bit less fiddly - not just spoke lengths but feeding them through as well.

Looks nice though. I like the bolt on hollow axle - I wish companies would start using 12mm bolt on (as DH bikes) for stocks. It just makes sense for stiffness.

A baby Pro II would be nice though - then you could do the flanges the same size as per the normal Pro II.

Jamie

they would be available in all hope colours and drillings, at present we have only made 8 to test out, luckily enough just as they were being anodised last week i was down at hope and managed to get mine done in gunsmoke to match the other components on my bike,

in terms of a cassette hub, i agree it would be really nice, maybe thats something to look into........................................

as far as i am aware there could also be a 26" rear screw on hub being produced, this would not have a rear disc mount though, as many stock riders only tend to use rear magura or v-brake. Most of this is only at a talking stage, nothing has been drawn up,

would be really good for some feedback and oppinions on here.

cheers

ashley

26 inch would make sense i guess

surley are the only ones i know that make them and theres plenty of hope bumming single speeds gays around..

oh and dmr to..

i have no idea what im talking about, but surley making a mod/bmx hub for around 130 would do nothing but make money, if its anything like the pro2 then i can see alot of mod riders using them, and alot of bmx boys to...

only reason they dont use kings is cos there to expensive, and nobody use's pegs any more

its gotta be better than a profile...

Edited by Hugh Hefner

I'll order one now if i had the money! hope are by far the better hub on the market. Only ever bourght hope. and Had no problems.

Edited by Matthew_Gibson

Dont really know too much about these kind of hubs, but having to carry a spanner about with you incase the hub comes loose on the axil would be quite annoying. usually it would just need allen keys, which im sure most people carry anyway.

But I can see that it would be a tad stiffer.

I'd like to see a Shimano style spline rather than screw on fittings for the sprocket. A standard for mounting single sprockets/freewheels that isn't screw on is badly needed at this stage (Though that mostly depends on freewheel manufacturers getting off their arses and making spline mount freewheels). The only reason screw on freewheels/sprockets turned up to begin with was because it was being driven by a 2:1 gear or bigger on ordinary singlespeed bicycles, before MTB/BMX/Trials ever existed. The change from screw on hubs was pretty quick once multi geared setups got popular and the inherent flaw of running the hub bearings inboard of the gear sprockets (Bending and breaking back axles) and using a screw on sprocket mounting when gear ratios were heading towards 1:1 (Not to mind the shock loadings from trials) became obvious. My guess is the only reason this hasn't been done already is because Shimano don't make trials specific drivetrain parts (Their DX BMX hubs use a splined sprocket mounting though)...

I agree with everyone else and think that it is just another screw on hub on the market.

I prefer the splined hubs as its less off a pain removing the cog but ah well.

I'm sure if this was about last year when I bought my rear hub, I would have gone for one of these to match my Pro2 on the front, at least mod riders can have matching hope hubs. =D

A mod Pro2 would definately be the selling point though, as currently there are no mod freehubs with a disc mount.

And only other freehubs are Deng ones (too much speculation on whether they are good enough), Chris King (too expensive for your average rider), and Profile.

Only thing that comes close to having a disc mount is the Chris King BMX hub with a modified ISO shell, but again the cost comes into that.

If a mod Pro2 freehub was to be released at the same price as the stock one, it would be the cheapest on the market (aside from the deng ones), and that comes with the extra of a disc mount which would really make it sell.

The hub looks good ash, like said the weight would be nice of it when you get round to it. But for the price range it will be in and its main competion proberly going to be the tryall hub it will have to be lightweight to compete in the market as if it isnt around the tryall hubs weight the only people who will buy it are colour hoes who care about the different colours as lightness is a big thing now as most hubs especailly screw on ones are a reasonable strenght.

Axel design seems great if you ask me i cant see anymore hassle with it when setting up than normal bolts so all is good and should be strong.

As for the cams ash, you need to make sure they have notches. When i rode mod i tryed all different types of snail cams and found monty ones to be the best as smooth cams slip easily ans setting up is a twat and you need to have big bolts so you can crank them up just to get the wheel to stay in place. But i found with fresh product cams the notchs where to big and this led to shit adjustment and as bad as smooth cams. The monty ones where by far the best as they had good adjustment as the notchs where smaller and held the wheel in place due to the notchs.

Like said may be someday they will get round to a pro2 version. I cant see it would be so much hassle for them either as all the hard works been done for them in produceing the 26' pro2.

Edited by basher