Riding Ability, Body Movements And Stuff

Krisboats

Well i haven't made a decent thread for a while now and it just hit me a few minutes ago after watching some beginner riders videos and then comparing them to the likes of TRA or really anyone who can ride their bike to a very high level.

The main thing i noticed is the flow of the riders body. When riders first start doing trials they seem to be very tense and unrelaxed and seem to struggle with doing moves competantly and successfully. However, with a more experienced rider the body has a lot more flow to it and the rider seems to be much more relaxed on the bike... which ultimately ends up in bigger and smoother riding. I initially figured this would be down to unfamiliarity with the moves and the riders body lacking the required muscle structure for a comptetant riding ability but i started to wonder whether there was any link to psychological influences too. When first starting out most riders are unsure of what they're able to do and will be nervous about trying things, i guess this shows in their riding partially... helping them look more tense and rigid. But after a while the confidence grows and the rider seems to be able to ride more confidently, resulting in a more relaxed posture and movement

What i was wondering is exactly how this change from tense to smooth happens and if there is a way to understand why it happens so as to help people improve their riding ability more easily. I figured it would help a lot of newer riders improve if they we all new for definate exactly what contributes to becoming a better rider.

And if theres anything else that i might not have thought of then let us know... it could help people more than your know.

I think that balance is a major factor. If you've ever seen a child learning to walk, their knees are tense, and their thigh move their legs in really fast, jerky motions to stay upright.

With trials, you are learning new balance skills. Your body goes on "high alert" trying to keep you upright--huge jerky motions at the last second to keep from falling over. Over time, your body learns the balance point, and it takes a fraction of the effort to stay upright. I think smaller, finer muscle control develops, taking the bulk of balance work from the large, power muscle groups (hip flexors and supporting muscles as opposed to full on thigh and calf effort.) Thus the more experienced rider are so much more smooth and relaxed on their bike.

Not to say psychological factors aren't a huge factor. I've been riding trials for about 5 or 6 years now, and I am still about at the skill level as someone riding for about 4-6 months who is a faster learner and less scared of falling then I am.

Good topic. (Y)

whenever I am helping a new rider, I always say that trials is about body movments, Body English is the key.

if you wanted to throw a rock, then you have to preload and then launch it, its exactly the same with trials

I think it's down to muscle memory and a positive attitude.

Back when I started I would have days when I was feeling negative and some when I was positive. On negative days I wouldn't accomplish much without really forcing new things. When I was feeling positive I was getting a quicker development rate. If I didn't make a move I would try again until I did it. If I didn't get it the second time I would just stop and take a few minutes to think about how any little thing went differently and try to keep it in mind for corrections next time. (I guess that's essentially a meditative approach).

You persist at things and your body learns how to handle it in time. As someone said in an earlier post, your body starts to use smaller muscle groups to get the same effect with less effort. Like anything it just takes time. It's not limited to bikes either - think of trying to learn to play a musical instrument or play football. Persistance is key.

I got out my old bike for the first time in years (over 5 years) the other day. When I first got on it felt pretty weird and I couldn't balance to trackstand. But after the 2 hours I spent on it I was able to stay mostly stationary for enough time to compose myself before a jump. I know it will take a while before I can trackstand for ages again and jump up what I was backwheeling to years back. But I'm adament that because I was doing it years ago I'll pick it back up within a week of riding my new bike when I finally finish building it.

dont get you weight stuck either forward - central - backward,

literally chuck you body all over the place !! just keep you hands and feet stuck on.

ALOT of riders are quite rigid, i think im a pretty flexy rider, and it really helps,

some pigions/hooks/wheel swaps your head will be really near your front wheel

sometimes you have to get so far off the back that you may have to go death grip on front brake just to stretch you hand further back.

and on some sidehops your hip might click because its next to your BB..

if u wanna get on your rear wheel, dont have you weight forward and pedal all the weight up.

lean back lots and just kik your pedals a tiny bit.

anf if your gonna gap up to front wheel press your self against the bars and throw you weight over,

im not saying i can go massive on any moves,

but i am deff saying i have improved my riding by wiggling about.

iolo.

Edited by IOLO