Knurling A Rim (or Sort Of)

monkey gav

today while in metal work at school I came across an idea. i've seen a few posts on knurling a rim so today when i was using a vice i noticed that the vice left a deep mark on the steel i was using

i wondered if you could use the vice and cramp it onto the rim at either side on the braking surface if you put a block of wood between the rim and tighten it to the max it should leave the braking surface with the same mark as the knurling leaves on the vice

just a thought discuss Gavyn

I've seen it done on a rim before.... can't find the picture to hand... have you searched the forum. I thought it looked crap. But I think lots of things.

I sav it on otn before but it was machined on some how

Posted by ash the machinist

1) they must accurately clock and center the rim per side - to ensure it comes out even,

2) they need a HSS (High Speed Steel) cutter ground to a point 25-40 degree included angle on fly or single-bar cutter.

3) for a dx32, they should aim for 0.35mm depth of cut, + or - 0.05mm, under no circumstances should they exceed 2/5 of the thinnest part of the wall thickness.

4) cutter dia = 350mm

5) cutter PCD = 420mm

6) cutter V = 50-60 m/min @ 70mm/min (70mm/min is the feed rate, using 70mm/min @ 54.9m/min, the speed, will give you thesame groove et/vb/showthread.php?t=12609

Edited by monkey gav

That last topic was a hoot, the big b got owned.

IPB Image

Its not a knurl, is not a grind.

Your idea isn't going to make breaking that much better, rim sidewalls are much softer than steel, so you risk damaging them.

The idea with a grind is that you create a surface onto which your brake pad will stick. I can't see how a vice would do that effectively.

EDIT: I do see you point. but its just so much more hassle than grinding, your going to have to open the vice and close it as well as move your bit of wood every 5-6 inches unless you have a huge custom built vice which is circular and the same size as your wheel..

Also, I just realised that guy the big b registered two days before the conclusion of that topic, acted like an ass, and hasnt been on since! Pity he hasnt left any contact details, it seems that he wont have got to see the definition of grinding.......

Edited by jake1516

That last topic was a hoot, the big b got owned.

Its not a knurl, is not a grind.

Your idea isn't going to make breaking that much better, rim sidewalls are much softer than steel, so you risk damaging them.

The idea with a grind is that you create a surface onto which your brake pad will stick. I can't see how a vice would do the effectively.

you don't risk damaging them if you don't crank the vice so hard unlike grinding you don't take anything a way you just compress it don't think that it would kill the pads too much because it would be shaped like a diamond lying on its side rather thatn a verticle blade style line

Edited by monkey gav

you don't risk damaging them if you don't crank the vice so hard unlike grinding you don't take anything a way you just compress it don't think that it would kill the pads too much because it would be shaped like a diamond lying on its side rather thatn a verticle blade style line

The only way to dent the rim significantly,(That is what your doing, lots of very small dents) is to crank the vice hard. Yes, you do compress it, but it is the taking away of material which increases the friction between the brake pad and the rim, you are trying to achieve as rough a surface as possible.

Again, not worth your time unless you have a rim sized, circular vice, along with a circular bit of wood to put between the sidewalls to stop them falling apart.

Im not trying to shit on you, good idea, but not worth the time or hassle when a grind will suffice in two minutes......

Ok, Let's take a look at pro's and cons here :-

Pro's:

Doesn't physically remove rim material

PROBABLY doesn't kill pads as fast as a grind.

PROBABLY works better than a grind, Due to larger surface area

Con's:

Not many people have access to tools like lathe's

Grinding is PROBABLY easier on a rim

I still favour a grind, Although at the moment i'm running vees, Immense ;)

Edited by deanie-b

QUOTE(deanie-b @ Jan 13 2006, 08:54 PM)

Ok, Let's take a look at pro's and cons here :-

Pro's:

Doesn't physically remove rim material

PROBABLY doesn't kill pads as fast as a grind.

PROBABLY works better than a grind, Due to larger surface area

Con's:

Not many people have access to tools like lathe's

Grinding is PROBABLY easier on a rim

I still favour a grind, Although at the moment i'm running vees, Immense ;)

What?

Apparantly that pic isnt a lathe or grind, its done using a knurling tool, like rollers with

criss crosses on it that you force the rim or whatever through.

I like smooth rims, grinds are ghey and noisy imo...

its not done using a knurling tool :rtt: it is done with a cnc macine and a custom grinded bit bit

Not a bad idea imo but I think there would be a bit of trial and error and maybe a scrapped rim or two along the way. Even with a block of wood between the side walls, any excess vice pressure will probably bend the side walls and with no real warning. Could probably bend it back but then it becomes work hardened and will fail pretty quickly.

If you attempt it I would suggest making some hardened steel jaws for the vice with the pattern of choice you want on the rim. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you try it.

To get a good grind (this is what i did) put the axle into a vice, (so the rim can spin) then get a masionary disc in an angle grinder, put the grinder's speed to about half way, then put the angle grinder at a slight angle on therim so that as it spins, so will the rim, and that way you can get an even grind all the way round, also it's a lot faster. after youve done that, you can change the angle that the grinder is facing so the rim spins the other way and makes a better grind, but do the second grind lighter than the first otherwise you'll grind away your first grind and reduce the thicknes of your rim.

Mike!!!

Edti: you could just get some tar and some softer pads! (Y)(Y):-

Edited by mike

i think its a stupid idea,

the knurling will more than likely damage the rim as alot of pressure is applyed onto the surface being knurled,

also to get a good knurled finish alot od poressure would have to be applyed this would damage most rims unless the sidewalls were thick.

in work when i knurl steel bars around diameter 10 mm these bend alot when being knurled,

stick wiht grinding i think...

THE PIC ABOVE IS NOT A f**kING KNURL

how many times has it got to be said. We owned the last person who insisted it was. Perhaps if people actually read the entire thread they would understand what we were talking about reducing the need to say the same thing over and over again.

Finally, IT IS NOT A KNURL

It's CNC machined.

Edited by jake1516