Pro's And Con's Of Running Dual Disk

planet x alan

what are the pro's and con's of running dual disk on a trials.

of course there are the obvios ones:

pro: work excellent in all weather conditions

con: another thing to hit when side hopping.

since having a proper ride on a bike with front disk today i am now really considering saving up for dual disk on my next bike. is it worth it and what is the best brake that can modulate well but grip just as well?

thanks a lot

alan :)

having ridden richs d15c for a few minutes today, i actually REALLY liked his brake setup, and its clearly good enough to withstand some serious abuse from what ive seen of him riding....

dual 180mm mono trials seem absolutely awesome!

and its very unlikely you will hit them sidehopping either.

Ive rode Adam Reads bike a fair bit, he runs 200mm Monotrials front and rear and they work really well. They lock very well, and the modulation is the best of any brake out there i think :) I run a 200mm Monotrial up front and its beast! So yeah double discs do work.

I would say the downsides to a rear disc are:

Its quite easy to hit a rotor when bailing or catch it while riding. If you hit it fairly bad, then your ride is over, unless you have a spare bedded in rotor (unlikely).

Pads are easy to contaminate, like the other night there was few of us riding, and some mong touched Adams disc rotor and it went abit poo for 20/30mins.

You need a frame with a disc mount that can cope with a powerfull brake and there isnt many out there >_<

Some of the advantages are:

Your brake will pretty much work in the wet.

You dont have to grind your rim, which will make it last longer.

You dont have to faff with Maguras.

If you get a disc working well, they are quite low maintenance.

Stan.

Edited by cultiv8ed stan

Look prety pimp to, and if your a fag about the apearance of your bike (like me lol) then your sidewalls will remain the same colour not that it makes much difference to your riding. i dont know if this happens to everyone (maybe its me having a shity nockaround dual disk mtb) but the spokes get loosened/tightened ( :S ) on the disk side, making the rim shift over.